Eclipse: 92% was no big deal
(Updated Aug. 22, 2017)
I knew we weren’t going to get a total eclipse in Denver, but I thought our 92% would be notable. Meh, as you can see above, not so much. Apparently the sun is so bright that even if 92% is obscured, the remaining 8% can make up for most of the loss. Things looked a little “off,” like maybe it was late afternoon, or a very light cloud cover had moved in. Slightly flatter light. Slightly cooler temperatures. Crickets started chirping. But the pets didn’t do anything out of the ordinary, as some had said they might. (And I certainly wasn’t out buying eclipse glasses to put on my dog, as many people did.)
Our eclipse began at 10:23 am (MDT), peaked at 11:47 am, and ended at 1:14 pm. We were almost an hour into it before it occurred to me to try taking some before-and-during pictures with both my phone and favorite webcams. I got shots from around 11:15 and some a half hour later, at the peak. They were all so similar that without time stamps, I wouldn’t have known which was which.
I should mention I didn’t have any eclipse glasses. Actually seeing the 92% coverage of the sun’s surface might have made it more interesting. I’m glad the schools were going all out for the kids, providing the glasses and all sorts of related science projects, including UV beads, which I’d never heard of.
Maybe I’ll travel to see the next total eclipse in the US. It occurs on my 81st birthday.